IHG Summer Promotion
It's summertime! Schools are closing and families are traveling. Despite the anticipation of another record-breaking travel season, travel brands are vying for travelers' loyalty. This time, it's an IHG Summer Promotion. The hotel brand wants summer travelers to stay at its hotels and it lets you choose which promotion works best for you. We always recommend registering for all promotions, as you never know when you might benefit. But this particular promotion takes a bit more analysis. Let's dig in and figure out which IHG summer promotion works best for you.
For the 2023 IHG Summer Promotion, IHG One members can select either of the following:
- 2,000 IHG bonus points every 2 nights; or
- 10,000 IHG bonus points every 4 nights.
Terms of the Promotion
The terms & conditions of the IHG Summer 2023 promotion are rather lengthy and not very positive, at least for award travelers. The relevant terms & conditions include:
- you must register for one of these options on or after May 24, 2023
- once you register for one promotion, the other promotion is unavailable to you
- the promotion period lasts from June 6, 2023 to August 31, 2023
- there is no maximum to the number of bonus points that can be earned
- cash stays in excess of $30 USD (or local equivalent) per night count as “qualifying room nights”
- rewards nights and Points & Cash stays do not count
- nights at Six Senses Hotels, resorts & spas that do not participate in IHG One Rewards, and Iberostar Beachfront Resorts that are not fully integrated into IHG One Rewards do not count
- nights booked via online travel agencies or other reservation sites do not count
- only one member per room will receive bonus points
Which IHG Summer Promotion is Right for You?
At first glance, the 4-night promotion looks best. Max the 4 nights and you earn 2,500 bonus points per night, rather than only 2,000 bonus points per night with the 2-night promotion. That's an extra 250%, so clearly that is best, right? Probably, but maybe not. If you have organic stays of 4+ nights, you should opt for 4-night promotion. Any additional nights after the 4-night plateau outpace the 2-night promotion, even if you end up with an odd number of nights that does not qualify for additional bonus points. As IHG points are worth around 0.5 cents each, this promotion simply is not worth a mattress run, as the $30 minimum nightly cost would equate to 6,000 points at 0.5 cents each. Let's break down the numbers to confirm the math:
|Number of Nights||2 Night Promotion & Bonus Points Earned||4 Night Promotion & Bonus Points Earned|
IHG Summer Promotion: ToP Thoughts
As always, ToP recommends you sign up for any and all loyalty program promotions. You never know when you have a last-minute change of plans and a promotion will give you extra benefits. It is disappointing that this promotion is only for cash stays. That makes it far less valuable to award travelers. Overall, the 4-night promotion is much more lucrative if you have 4+ organic cash nights planned at IHG between June 6 and August 31, 2023. If you have fewer than 4 nights planned, then we recommend erring on the side of caution and picking the 2-night promotion. Overall, the 2-night promotion is worth approximately $10 in points for each 2-night bonus received and the 4-night promotion is worth approximately $50 in points for each 4-night bonus received. Not earth-shattering and certainly not worth a mattress run.
What are your plans? Which promotion are you choosing? Come over to our Facebook group and let us know.