IHG January Promotion
As the calendar flips to 2024, we see new deals and new promotions (like new 5x quarterly bonus opportunities). On the hotel side of things, IHG has launched a January promotion. Unlike most hotel promotions, this one only lasts for the month of January. If you have a vacation planned to recover from the holidays and/or to escape part of the winter months, you may be in luck! Consider making IHG part of your plans. Now let's dive into all the details.
RELATED: IHG is on Rakuten, oftentimes up to 10%/10x back! Stack with Rakuten for bonus points while booking direct with the hotel.
New IHG Promotion
For the IHG January 2024 promotion, there are two parts to the promotion. After registration, all members earn:
- 2x (double) bonus points on all stays
- 2,000 bonus points for staying at 2 hotel brands
- valid for stays 1/1/24 to 1/31/24
Terms & Conditions of the Promotion
The relevant terms & conditions of the IHG January promotion are fairly standard. These terms include:
- members must register in advance for the promotion
- nights during a stay that were completed prior to registration are not eligible
- only paid stays are valid, with a minimum cost of $30 (or local currency equivalent)
- 2x points are only for base points and not for any elite earnings
- the 2x bonus points are uncapped
- 2,000 bonus points for staying at 2 hotel brands is a one-time bonus and capped at 2,000 bonus points
IHG January Promotion: ToP Thoughts
This feels like a big swing and a miss from IHG. Limiting the 2x January promotion to only cash stays makes no sense. If IHG allowed award stays to count, it would only encourage spending on incidentals and would cost the hotel virtually nothing. Since award stays generally have no eligible spend, there are no bonus points to double, unless the member spends money while at the hotel. That should have been the focus and would have generated more buzz, at least for us award travelers. This is easy points, however, if you already have cash stays planned, especially if you stack with a shopping portal or a Chase offer for cashback.
Likewise, the 2,000 bonus points for staying at multiple hotel brands seems more gimmicky than useful. Frankly, I'd like to see this promo uncapped, since 2,000 points is only worth ~$10. Again, since limited to only one 2,000 point bonus, I see no reason to go out of your way to make this promotion work.
What are your thoughts on this IHG January promotion? Does it work for you or is it a dud? Come over to our Facebook group and let us know.