The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card is Amex's mid-tier option for its Delta co-branded business cards. This card offers benefits and perks that should make the $250 annual fee worth it for most Delta frequent flyers, as we breakdown below.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card current welcome offer gives you the ability to earn 60,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. The card has an annual fee of $250.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card earns bonus SkyMiles on the following categories:
- 3x on purchases made directly with Delta
- 3x on purchases made directly with hotels
- 1.5x on purchases of $5,000 or more, up to 50,000 additional miles per calendar year
The card also earns 1x on all other purchases.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card offers the following benefits:
- First checked bag free
- Main Cabin 1 priority boarding
- 20% back as a statement credit for Delta in-flight purchases
- The ability to earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) towards elite status after you spend $25,000 in a calendar year, up to twice a year
- Delta Sky Club access ($39 per person per visit)
- A companion certificate for main cabin round-trip each year upon card renewal (plus taxes and fees of up to $75)
- TSA Precheck ($85) or Global Entry ($100) fee statement credit every 4.5 years
- Trip delay (6 hours) and cancellation protections (up to $500 per trip) (terms apply)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Baggage insurance plan: coverage of up to $1,250 for carry-on and up to $500 for checked baggage for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage (terms apply)
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: you can be covered for damage to or theft of a rental vehicle when you use your card to reserve and pay for the entire rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental company counter (terms apply)
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card offers all the benefits of the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business American Express Card (review) and then some. The ability to earn up to 20,000 MQMs per calendar year towards status can go a long way. That is almost half of the 50,000 MQMs required for Gold status.
Delta Sky Club access seems like a nice benefit, but having to pay $39 per person per visit makes this much less valuable. In fact, other cards like the Business Reserve Card (review) from American Express offer complimentary Delta Sky Club access when flying Delta.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card‘s value proposition is particularly strong in the first year. On top of the strong welcome bonus, you get to stack your minimum spend towards the $25,000 threshold to earn 10,000 MQMs.
But even after the first year, the card could be a keeper for high-spending business owners looking for a boost to reach Delta elite status.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card can be quite rewarding for high spenders seeking elite status. It also offers many perks for Delta flyers, like first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 priority boarding. Access to Delta Sky Club is nice, albeit it still requires an out of pocket cost. All in all, the card does provide value, but Delta flyers should crunch the numbers to determine whether the card's annual fee is worth it.