Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Review
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card is Amex's mid-tier option for its Delta co-branded business cards. This card offers benefits and perks that should make the annual fee worth it for most Delta frequent flyers. In our Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card review we will look at the welcome offer, earning structure, card perks and share our overall thoughts.
Current Welcome Offer
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card currently comes with the following welcome offer:
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply
- The card has an annual fee of $250. (Rates & Fees)
Amex Application Rules
If you choose to apply, remember that Amex typically will not approve you for more than two Amex credit cards during a 90-day period. They also have a limit of 5 credit cards per person, of which this is one. There is also a 10 card limit on the colored Membership Rewards earning cards (of which this is not one of).
Amex also has a once per lifetime welcome offer rule on each card. This is more like every 5 – 7 years in reality though, and not actually your lifetime. That timeline is based off of when you last held a card, not when you last earned a welcome offer on the product though. If you are ineligible for the welcome offer for any reason American Express will usually let you know that with a pop-up before the application is processed. You can cancel the application at this time with no hard pull.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Review: Earning Structure
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card has the following earning structure:
- 3x Skymiles per dollar on purchases made directly with Delta
- 3x Skymiles per dollar on purchases made directly with hotels
- 1.5x Skymiles per dollar on purchases of $5,000 or more, up to 50,000 additional miles per calendar year
- 1x Skymiles per dollar on everything else
Delta Platinum Business Card Benefits
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card offers the following benefits:
- First checked bag free
- Main Cabin 1 priority boarding
- 15% discount on award bookings (not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees)
- 20% back as a statement credit for Delta in-flight purchases
- The ability to earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) towards elite status after you spend $25,000 in a calendar year, up to twice a year
- An MQD waiver, for up to Delta Platinum status, after spending $25,000 on the card within a calendar year
- A companion certificate for main cabin round-trip each year upon card renewal (plus taxes and fees of up to $80)
- TSA Precheck ($85) or Global Entry ($100) fee statement credit every 4.5 years
- No foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees)
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card offers all the benefits of the Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card and then some. The ability to earn up to 20,000 MQMs per calendar year towards status can go a long way. That is almost half of the 50,000 MQMs required for Gold status. And the MQD waiver after spending $25,000 in a calendar year is important perk to many as well. These two areas is where this card can really shine long term.
The earning structure leaves a bit to be desired and lags compared to the personal card counterpart. The priority boarding and free checked bag will be meaningful perks to many frequent Delta flyers, but it can be had at a lower annual fee.
When the welcome offer is up around 100,000 miles it offers quite a bit of value and is worthy of an application if you can use Skymiles. It also won't count against your Chase 5/24 status since it is a business card.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Review: ToP Thoughts
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card can be quite rewarding for high spenders seeking elite status. It also offers many perks for Delta flyers, like first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 priority boarding. Access to Delta Sky Club is nice, albeit it still requires an out of pocket cost. All in all, the card does provide value, but Delta flyers should crunch the numbers to determine whether the card's annual fee is worth it.
What do you think of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business card? Come join the discussion in our Facebook group!
For rates and fees of the Delta Skymiles Platinum Business please visit here