Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card Review
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card offers a solid bargain for Delta frequent flyers. This business card could be of interest to frequent Delta flyers for the perks. In our Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card review we will look at the welcome offer, card perks, earning structure and give our overall thoughts.
Current Welcome Offer
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card has the following welcome offer:
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply
- The card has an annual fee of $99, which is waived for the first year. (Rates & Fees)
Amex Application Rules
If you choose to apply, remember that Amex typically will not approve you for more than two Amex credit cards during a 90-day period. They also have a limit of 5 credit cards per person, of which this is one. There is also a 10 card limit on the colored Membership Rewards earning cards (of which this is not one of).
Amex also has a once per lifetime welcome offer rule on each card. This is more like every 5 – 7 years in reality though, and not actually your lifetime. That timeline is based off of when you last held a card, not when you last earned a welcome offer on the product though. If you are ineligible for the welcome offer for any reason American Express will usually let you know that with a pop-up before the application is processed. You can cancel the application at this time with no hard pull.
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card Review: Earning Structure
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card has the following earning structure:
- 2x SkyMiles per dollar spent on the following categories:
- Purchases made directly with Delta
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. shipping purchases
- Dining at restaurants
- 1x SkyMiles per dollar on everything else
Delta Gold Business Card Benefits
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card offers the following benefits:
- First checked bag free
- Main Cabin 1 priority boarding
- 15% discount on award redemptions (not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees)
- 20% back as a statement credit for Delta in-flight purchases
- $100 Delta flight credit after you spend $10,000 on your card in a calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Baggage insurance plan: coverage of up to $1,250 for carry-on and up to $500 for checked baggage for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage (terms apply)
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: you can be covered for damage to or theft of a rental vehicle when you use your card to reserve and pay for the entire rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental company counter (terms apply)
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card offers solid benefits for a low annual fee of $99. The first checked bag alone can more than cover the annual fee if you use this perk enough. Delta charges $30 for a first checked bag each flight. Main Cabin 1 priority boarding is also a nice benefit for a basic airline card. This perk has you board with Delta Silver Medallion members and elite members from other SkyTeam partner airlines. That is still ahead of main cabin passengers if you care about overhead space etc.
Unlike the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card or the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, the Gold Business card does not help you reach elite status with Delta any faster. The card does not offer any bonuses to obtain Medallion Qualification Miles any faster, nor does it offer a Medallion Qualification Dollars waiver. Those looking for more robust perks to help obtain Delta elite status should look to the Delta Platinum Business or the Delta Reserve Business cards.
The card’s current welcome is a good deal given the relatively low minimum spend amount. But it’s worth remembering that not all miles are created equally, and transferable currencies are generally more valuable than airline miles. Nonetheless, Delta SkyMiles can offer some great value if used during sales, deals, or the right airports.
Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card Review: ToP Thoughts
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card is a solid low-annual fee card for frequent Delta flyers. However, the card does not offer any Sky Club access or any boost towards elite status. But the card’s perks and benefits, such as first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 priority boarding, can more than offset the $99 annual fee for most Delta travelers.
What are your thoughts about the Delta SkyMiles Gold Business Card? Come join the discussion in our Facebook group!