Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card Review
The Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card is Marriott’s only co-branded business credit card. This card offers enough benefits to offset its $125 annual fee for most people and could be a long term keeper for you. In our Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card review we will look at the welcome offer, earning structure, card perks plus share our thoughts.
Bonvoy Business Card’s Current Welcome Offer
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card’s current welcome offer is the following:
- Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after spending $5,000 within the first 3 months of card membership. Terms Apply.(Rates & Fees)
- Offer ends 5/3/23
- The $125 annual fee is NOT waived
American Express Application Rules
If you want a full overview of the American Express application rules then be sure to check out our guide on all issuers. We will highlight some of the bigger ones here.
- Amex has a once per lifetime welcome offer restriction (outside of targeted no lifetime language offers of which this is not one).
- American Express defines once per lifetime loosely and it is in effect 5-7 years.
- This is since you last held the card, NOT when you last earned a welcome offer. So upgrades and downgrades count against you too.
- American Express only allows you to have 5 of their credit cards at one time.
- Cards without a finite limit do not count against this rule and have their own, and separate, 10 card limit.
- Amex has a 2/90 rule, where it will not approve you for more than two Amex cards during a 90-day period.
- American Express may deny you a welcome offer for any reason but will inform you of that before performing your credit with a pop-up window telling you are not eligible for this offer.
Marriott Specific Application Rules
On top of the American Express rules there are Marriott Bonvoy card specific application rules that apply to this card.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who:
- (i) have or have had the Marriott Bonvoy® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Business® Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days,
- (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase, in the last 90 days
- (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Credit Card from Chase, Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase.
Bonvoy Business Review: Card Earning Rate
The Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business Card earns bonus points in the following categories:
- Earn 6x on Marriott purchases
- Earn 4x in the following categories
- Restaurants worldwide
- U.S. gas stations
- Wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- Earn 2x on everything else
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card Review: Card Benefits
The Bonvoy Business Card’s benefits include:
- A free night award worth up to 35,000 points annually (you can top the award off with up to 15,000 points)
- No foreign transaction fees
- A free night award worth up to 35,000 points when you spend $60,000 on the card in a calendar year
- 15 elite nights toward status annually
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold status
The Bonvoy Business is an interesting card for loyalists. Especially for loyalists that enjoy earning Marriott Bonvoy status. That is because the 15 elite night credits from Marriott business cards stack with the 15 elite night credits you get from one of their personal cards. Ang guess what, this is the only business card show in town. If you carry two Marriott cards each year, a personal version from Amex or Chase, and the Bonvoy Business, then you start of every year with 30 elite nights banked in your account.
While Bonvoy points are not the most valuable currency on the market, netting less than a cent most of the time, this card offers a decent earning structure if you want to earn them. Getting 4x earning in a variety of areas, some of high spend like restaurants and U.S. gas stations, is about as good as it gets for Marriott cards.
The $125 annual fee, while slightly above the competition, should be offset by the annual free night certificate every year. The fact that you can now top that certificate off with up to an additional 15,000 Bonvoy points makes it a bit easier to use too.
Since this card is a business card it shouldn’t hurt you whether you are over, or under, Chase 5/24. That may make this a good option for you either way, if you find Bonvoy points of value.
Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card Review: ToP Thoughts
The Bonvoy Business card offers enough benefits to offset its $125 annual fee. Specifically, the annual free night certificate and 15 elite night credits can make this card a keeper, since you can stack these with elite night credits offered from other Marriott cards. The current welcome offer makes this a tempting proposition right now as well.
While the earning structure can be bested by cards that earn transferrable currencies it is still probably the best option from earning Bonvoy points should that be what you need. The 4x categories will be big expense areas for a lot of businesses out there.
What are your thoughts about the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card? Join the discussion in our Facebook group!