Frontier Student Loan Mile Match
I am going to have some fun here with the Frontier student loan mile match promotion they have going on for a few more days. On its face, it seems like a really cool and inventive promotion. The funny bit is found in their terms though.
Frontier Student Loan Mile Match Offer Details
Let's take a look at the offer details and terms first.
Here are the details of what they are offering:
Tell us how much you owe in student loans and we'll pick 100 lucky winners to match that amount in Frontier Miles.
Here are some notable terms of the offer:
- This Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open to all residents of the United States (including the District of Columbia. New York and Florida) who are the age of majority in their state of residence at the time of entry.
- Employees and their immediate families (spouses, parents, children and siblings and their respective spouses) of Frontier Airlines, Inc. are not eligible.
- The Sweepstakes begins on or around August 17, 2023 at 12:00AM Mountain Time. The Sweepstakes will end on August 27, 2023 at 11:59pm Mountain Time.
- Each entrant may enter their email address once during the Sweepstakes Period.
- Grand prize winners will receive the amount owed in student loan debt in Frontier Miles as submitted through the form up to 100,000 Frontier Miles.
Wait, What Is So Funny? This Sounds Great!
So, the more you owe the more you'll get? At least you get some benefit for your mountain of student loan debt, right? This sounds like like a really cool offer, so what is so funny? When Rick first sent me this promotion I made a joke about millions of miles worth like $50. It is no secret that Frontier Miles are not worth much after all. Then when I started doing a little digging I was scanning the terms and I saw this:
The sum of the prizes distributed for the sweepstakes shall not exceed 10,000,000 miles total.
Approximate retail value (ARV) of 10,000,000 Frontier Miles: $10,000
Wait, what? 10 MILLION miles are worth only $10,000?? The crazy part is this is Frontier's valuation, and you know companies usually overvalue their own currencies. Especially during promotions. Frontier's internal valuation of their miles is a putrid $0.001 each. A tenth of a dang cent!
I couldn't stop laughing.
Let's say you have $100,000 in student loans, and are one of the lucky few selected, then you would get 100,000 miles worth … $100 according to Frontier.
I can't get enough of this.
Frontier Student Loan Mile Match: ToP Thoughts
I knew that Frontier Miles weren't really worth chasing but I never though the airline would value them at one tenth of a cent. Heck, give away a billion miles at this point. No one will probably use them anyway.
The truth is they are worth a bit more than that. On a few searches I found them to fall in the $0.005 – $0.008 range. So about the same as a Marriott Bonvoy point. Major ouch baby (in my Austin Powers voice)! If you live in a city that has a lot of Frontier flights it may be worth throwing in a what the heck submission.