American Airlines Status Offer
We alluded to a new American Airlines status offer going out to select World of Hyatt members earlier in the week. That nugget was dropped in the middle of the American Airlines and World of Hyatt promotion that offered a Hyatt status challenge. We weren't sure how targeted it would be going the other way, or how it would be decided on who gets the American Airlines status offer. It doesn't appear to be based on any sort of Hyatt status level etc. since my wife received an offer and has no status with Hyatt. She did not have the offer in her account originally, even though some did, so this appears to be rolling out to accounts in batches.
Where To Find Your Offer
You can check your American Airlines loyalty account. Log in, go to the your account page and then check your promotions. It should be at the ToP if you have it. You can also scan your email for the offer. The subject line for my wife was: Enjoy complimentary AAdvantage Gold® status today.
American Airlines Status Offer Details
This offer is kind of like a status match plus a status challenge rolled into one. Here are the details:
Great news, you can enjoy complimentary AAdvantage® status when you register for the Instant Status PassTM promotion. Enjoy the elevated benefits of status with our award-winning loyalty program for up to a year while you qualify for the membership year.
|How it works|
|Register to enjoy instant AAdvantage Gold® status. Earn Loyalty Points toward status when you fly or engage with our partners. Meet the Loyalty Point goals every 4 months to keep status and move on to the next phase.|
- This promotion is only open to select American Airlines AAdvantage® members
- Your complimentary AAdvantage® status will be valid within 24 hours of registering. It may take up to an additional 24 hours for your new benefits to apply to existing bookings.
- Loyalty Points accrued through travel or other partners before registration do not count toward the requirements for this promotion
- Must meet Loyalty Point activity requirement every 4 months to continue with this promotion and keep status benefits
- Once you complete all 3 phases in the Instant Status PassTM you will be granted status for the next membership year immediately following the membership year in which you registered
American Airlines Status Offer: ToP Thoughts
If you have the American Airlines status offer in your account then it is worth activating. It may come in handy, maybe you could even status match this status to another airline you prefer more (*not all airlines may accept promotional matches). I would wait a bit if you don't have any immediate American Airlines flights to extend the time you have it a little bit. Set a calendar reminder so you don't forget and miss the cut off though.
Going beyond just enjoying the 4 months of free status, and chasing elite status for qualification next year etc., will depend on a few things. Do you fly American Airlines often, or will you over the next year? Can you earn American Airlines Loyalty Points fairly easily? Could that status be useful for your Oneworld travels? How you answer these questions will decide which route you should go.
For my wife, she will grab the 4 months of status and move on. We don't fly American Airlines often enough to make the juice worth the squeeze long term. Hopefully it gives us something for our upcoming flights to New York at least.