Travel on Point(s) has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Travel on Point(s) and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
The United Business card offers a lot of perks for a low annual fee of $99. Among complimentary United club passes, a free checked bag, and many other benefits, the card has something for most United frequent flyers.
The United Business card currently offers 75,000 bonus UA miles after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months from accounting opening. The card also offers an additional 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $20,000 total in the first 6 months.
This bonus offer is available if you do not have this card and have not received a sign-up bonus for this card in the past 24 months. The United Business card has a $99 annual fee.
Like other Chase cards, the United Business card is subject to Chase's 5/24 rule. This means Chase will not approve you for this card if you have opened more than 5 credit cards with any bank in the last 24 months. However, as a business card, this card does not add to your 5/24 count. Chase also will not approve you if you have opened a credit card during the last 30 days.
The United Business card earns 2x UA miles per dollar spent on purchases from United and on dining, at gas stations, office supply stores and on local transit and commuting. The card also earns 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases.
The United Business card offers a lot of benefits for a $99-annual fee card. Many of these will likely appeal to United frequent flyers.
- 2 United Club one-time passes per year
- Complimentary first checked bag for primary cardholder and one companion traveling on the same reservation
- Expanded award availability, similar to what is available to United MileagePlus elites
- 5,000 bonus miles on each card anniversary when you have the United Business card and a personal United card
- $100 United travel credit after 7 United flight purchases of $100 or more each card anniversary year
- 25% back as a statement credit on in-flight purchases with United
- Priority boarding (prior to general boarding) for the primary cardholders and companions on the same reservation
- Premier upgrades on award tickers: primary cardholders who are also a MileagePlus Premier member and traveling on an award ticket can take advantage of Complimentary Premier Upgrades on United flights (when available)
- Earn 500 Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) towards elite status for every $12,000 you spend on purchases with your card (up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year). These can be applied toward your Premier status qualification, up to the Premier 1K level
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance: reimbursement for up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable passenger fares, if your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather or other covered situations
- Baggage delay reimbursement for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 3 days
- Lost luggage reimbursement: if you or an immediate family member check or carry-on luggage that is damaged or lost by the carrier, you're covered up to $3,000 per passenger
- Trip delay reimbursement: if your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket
- Purchase protection for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account
- One year of complimentary DashPass
- Access to Chase's Luxury Hotel Collection, with perks such as free breakfast for two and a $100 credit that varies by property
- No foreign transaction fees
The United Business card's benefits easily cover the low $99 annual fee. The complimentary checked bag benefit can be worth up to $140 per roundtrip, as United charges $35 for a first checked bag. The cash cost of 2 United club passes are $118 ($59 per pass).
The card's various travel protections are also quite good. Some are even comparable to that of the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The United Business card's trip delay reimbursement kicks in after 12 hours and covers up to $500 per ticket, like the CSP. So if you don't have a CSP, the United Business card could help you with travel protection.
Some of the United Business card's other benefits are less helpful, or will likely just benefit frequent spenders. For example, take the $100 United credit after 7 UA flight purchases of $100 or more. But even if you're a road warrior, why would you charge your flights to the United Business card? It would only earn 2x UA miles per dollar. You might as well earn 2x Chase URs through the CSP or 3x URs through the CSR.
In fact, the United Business card does not deserve a lot of spend. Like many other co-branded cards, this card would only be worth getting for the sign-up bonus and the airline benefits. Since United is a Chase transfer partner, you are better off putting your spend on a CSP or CSR or another UR-earning credit card than on the United Business card.
At the end of the day, the United Business card offers a lot of benefits for a low annual fee. Not all of the card's benefits are easy to use. But the 2 club passes and complimentary checked bag easily cover the annual fee. Expanded award availability for just holding the card is also a great perk for award travelers. This makes this card a keeper for regular United flyers who wouldn't otherwise have access to some of these perks.
We consider the United Business card a keeper for many United frequent flyers due to its many perks. Like other co-branded cards, spending on this card is not be very rewarding. But the complimentary United club passes and free checked bag more than cover the card's $99 annual fee. United frequent flyers should seriously consider this card for some of these perks. As a business card, the United Business has the added benefit of not adding to your 5/24 count.