Instacart Amex Offer
There is a new Instacart Amex Offer that launched today that could save you up to $40 on future orders. It is actually an offer for $20 off, but you can do it twice. I noticed it on my Business Platinum card. Unfortunately, I didn't see it on any grocery bonus earning cards. It looks like it may be targeted at business cards via the terms, which I found odd. While it is a nice discount if you were ordering from Instacart anyway, I wouldn't go out of my way to use it necessarily. More on that in a bit.
- Get a $20 statement credit by using your enrolled eligible card to spend a minimum of $150 in one or more purchases online at instacart.com or through the Instacart mobile app by 9/30/2023.
- Limit of 2 statement credits (total of $40).
Here are some notable terms:
- Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem.
- Only U.S.-issued American Express® Business Cards are eligible.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels.
- Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card.
- Offer valid for purchases made online at US website instacart.com or through the Instacart mobile app.
- Qualifying charges must post to your account before the campaign end date in order to be considered eligible.
- Excludes gift card purchases.
- Please note if you purchase a subscription, unless you notify Instacart that you want to pause, cancel, or that you do not want to auto renew, your subscription will automatically renew for another subscription period (subject to applicable law) of equal length (for example monthly, or annually).
- Limit of 2 statement credits (total of $40 back) per Card Member.
- Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 9/30/2023, provided that American Express receives information from Instacart about your qualifying purchase.
- Limit 1 enrolled Card per American Express Card online account.
Why I Wouldn't Go Out Of My Way To Use The Offer
If you use Instacart all of the time then this is great. Getting up to 13% off your orders is pretty great. If you are considering using this just because of the offer I caution against it. Mainly because the minimum spend required is high, at $150. If it was a lower threshold I would say dive in. The $20 may cover the delivery fees and tip, but the prices are usually elevated on Instacart which would have you paying more for your items. If that baked in cost is worth it to you to skip going to the store then by all means go for it. I just didn't want people thinking this offer makes the cost of getting it delivered “free” versus going in the store.
If you can pair it up with an Instacart driven promotion though things could get interesting. Since Amex doesn't care if you stack offers, only that the total billed is over $150 in total to trigger the credit.
If you are trying to use it in one go, on a $150 order, be sure not to cut it too close. I would go quite a bit above $150 because if something is out of stock (which is likely) you may dip below the $150 threshold. While out of stock things can make Instacart promotions more profitable (they are triggered based on your initial order amount) that won't be the same with Amex. That is because they only care about the billed amount. And you don't want to fall short and have to pay the delivery fee and tip again. Doing this over one order is most economical too.
Instacart Amex Offer: ToP Thoughts
The new Instacart Amex Offer is great for people that use Instacart already or just like not having to go to the store for a small cost. The offer isn't quite good enough to turn it into discounted groceries though so don't jump on it thinking that. It is best to do it in 2 large orders versus multiple. This cuts down on the delivery fees and tips (assuming not percentage based). That is unless you have an Instacart membership I guess. If you are going the two large orders route be sure to pad the amount a bit to cover out of stock items.