In the longest year in the history of mankind, we're at the end!! Happy Holidays to all and a Happy New Year! 2021 has to be better, right? RIGHT?!?!?! With thoughts of a new year in mind, here are a few end-of-the-month reminders of expiring credits and/or limited-time offers to consider (and possibly complete) before January 1. Additionally, you should also evaluate if you should open a new American Express card this month, as it is the best time to sign up for an Amex card, and you confirm if you need any last-minute mattress or mileage runs to gain elite status (but is it worth it?).
- Bonvoy & Bonvoy Brilliant: [Targeted] An extra 6x Membership Rewards on spend at Amazon, Target, and Walmart, up to $3,500 in each category, through 12/27/20.
- Delta personal cards: [Targeted] 4x at U.S. Restaurants (including takeout and delivery) and 5x on Delta purchases. Additionally, earn 500 MQMs and 500 miles for each $1,000 in purchases, up to 25,000 MQMs and 25,000 miles, through 12/31/20.
- Gold: $10 monthly dining credit.
- Green: $10 monthly wireless service credit (2020 only).
- Hilton Aspire & Surpass: [Targeted] Earn 1,000 base points per $1,000 spend, up to 30 times through 12/31/20. Also, spend $5,000 and earn a free weekend night certificate, which are now good for any night of the week.
- Platinum: $15 Uber/UberEats credit; $20 monthly wireless service credit (2020 only); $20 monthly streaming service credit (2020 only); $50 Saks Fifth Avenue credit before 12/31/20. [Targeted] $100 of $100+ at Dell through 12/31/20.
- Business Platinum: $20 monthly wireless service credit (2020 only); $20 monthly credit for shipping charges (2020 only); $100 extra Dell credits ($200 total) by 12/31/20.
- Freedom: 5x on up to $1,500 at PayPal and Walmart through 12/31/2020. Activate Q1 2021 bonus categories for 5x on up to $1,500 at select streaming services, internet/cable/phone services, and wholesale clubs.
- Freedom Flex: 5x on up to $1,500 at PayPal and Walmart through 12/31/2020. Activate Q1 2021 bonus categories for 5x on up to $1,500 at select streaming services, internet/cable/phone services, and wholesale clubs.
- Sapphire Preferred: 2x on groceries each month through April 30, 2021 (up to $1,000 per month). $60 statement credit for Peloton through 12/31/21.
- Sapphire Reserve: $60 in DoorDash credits by 12/31/20; 3x on groceries each month through April 30, 2021 (up to $1,000 per month). $120 statement credit for Peloton through 12/31/21.
- Most co-branded Chase Cards: 3x or 5x, up to $1,500 per month in November and December at grocery stores and Amazon. Check your eligibility and your specific offer here.
- Pay Yourself Back: Through 4/30/21, use Ultimate Rewards via a CSR (1.5 cents per point) or CSP (1.25 cents per point) to redeem purchases made in the last 90 days at grocery and home improvement stores and for restaurants. CIBP (1.25 cents per point) to redeem purchases made in the last 90 days at shipping, online advertising, and charitable contributions expenses. Freedom/Freedom Flex/CFU (1.25 cents per point) to redeem purchases made in the last 90 days at limited charitable organizations.
- Premier & Prestige: [Targeted] 5x on up to 2,500 points through 1/31/21 at grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, mass transit and commuter transportation vendors.
- It: 5% cash-back at walmart.com, amazon.com and target.com, on up to $1,500 spend through 12/31/20. Prepare for 5% cashback on up to $1,500 spend in Q1 2021 at CVS, Walgreens, and grocery stores.
- Venture & VentureOne: Use your miles to redeem purchases for restaurants (including takeout & delivery) and streaming services through 4/30/20.
- Spark Miles & Spark Miles Select: Use your miles to redeem purchases for restaurants (including takeout & delivery) and eligible wireless phone service providers through 4/30/21.
While not everyone has all of these cards, and most cannot possibly spend enough money at the grocery store each month to maximize each limited-time bonus, it is important to weigh your options and prioritize your spend. If you have a CSR and/or a Freedom/Freedom Flex, I would maximize those cards at 5x Ultimate Rewards, which are worth 2 or more cents each (for a total return of 10% or more) over any other cards. Also, do not forget to maximize the various streaming/shipping/mobile phone credits by paying your bill with the appropriate card or splitting the bill over each card that has a credit. As always, come join us in our Facebook group to discuss more ways to earn points and save money.